- Cold maceration and fermentation in stainless steel tanks.
- Regular pump-overs. Extended maceration for a week post fermentation.
- Malolactic fermentation in stainless steel tanks.
- 30% new French oak barrels and 70% second and third fill barrels.
- The wine was barrel matured for 18 months. Bottle matured for six months.
This wine is a magnificent window into the specific terroir at Rhebokskloof and highlights the cellarmaster's talent. The fruit is full and expressive but still maintains a veil of elegance, the floral and spicy aromatics that Syrah is well known for complementing the fruit. The use of wood is judicious and adds complexity, broadens the mid-palate, and provides a bit more grip to the soft plush tannin.
Aromas of blackberry and clove come through and linger on the nose. The wine has a beautiful plush soft texture on the palate with grippy tannin. Black plum flavours are prominent upfront and are complemented by layers of spicy aromas of clove and black pepper. The finish is long with an elegant jasmine note that hangs around long after the last sip.
Delicious with a roast leg of lamb, veggies, and grilled potatoes. If cooled down a few degrees, it gives enticing nuances of spice which pairs perfectly with an Italian-inspired cheese platter.